Sunday, June 26, 2011

Taking back...

     So with the good news on remission I now have a date as to when I can have my chemo port removed.  I will have it taken out July 6th.  Now what is interesting about this is they give you two options on how you want to go about this.  The first is traditional surgery where you go in and go under with anesthesia.  The other option since it is easier to have the port removed then placed is to have it taken out in the office while you are awake.  So I chose the second way of doing this. 
     Yes this does mean I am aware of what is going on, but luckily I have a prescription of Xanax that will help me relax :)  This next step is the numb the area where he will do the surgery and for me that is in the up right part of my chest.  Then he will give me a shot so I don't feel anything.  Sounds easy enough, right? Heh.  I am wondering if my doctor during this will let me wear my headphones for my ipod so I don't hear anything.  Bobby can be in the room with me and he wants to be so we'll see.  For me getting this port out represents so much of a journey that I have gone through and didn't sign up for.  It is that last physical piece in my body tying me to cancer.   It is has been a lifesaver, but one I am so willing to thank and move on!  The whole procedure he says lasts about 30 minutes or less.  So any words of experience in this type of surgery I would love to hear!
    So other than that I just sit and wait and soon to be another step closer to having this behind me.  My hair is growing pretty good and now it is getting to a strange point of still short but not long enough to really do anything and can really look like a hot mess!  But hey, I'll take it.  I have entertained the idea of getting a weave or extensions put in but I don't want to look like Vanilla Ice/Britany Spears gone horribly wrong.  :) 
     I will be going back to work this fall and am really looking forward to this.  I will be teaching 4th grade.  I love the age of fourth graders!  Audrey will be having to go to daycare and let me tell you I am NOT looking forward to that.  We went and visited the place where she most likely will be going and she loved it there.  She was talking and playing with the other kids.  I know it will be very hard on me I think most of all.  But a year ago I didn't think this time was ever going to get here of me being well enough to actually go back to work.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
- Anais Nin
Up at Cape Meares, OR--odd fact about me is I always wanted to go into the forestry service.  Who knows, maybe one day I will do something with it!


1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard that quote before. I love it! I'm so happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete